Week 8 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 8 – Discussion Board 2

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In this discussion post mention some strategies you will implement when you approach the vast world of medicine and trying to learn about ALL that is involved with it. Which areas of medicine do you think are most common for interpreters to be used? How does that affect your approach to studying the different areas of medicine?

Carlos Martinez
      Participant

So the most common areas of an interpreter in my point of view i really thing it would be internal medicine we live in a country that we have so many people around the world that every day they come into the hospitals for different kind of diseases ever country has different kind of viruses and infections we have to remember that every time somebody comes into this country to live we have to be aware that probably there will be a new virus or a new infection in our country im not saying that its a fact that people from another country are caring diseases or virus but every part of the world its different that’s why its very important for this government to make a plan (Strategy)of check every immigrant that come into this country as an immigrant I was checked about my health status when I apply for my citizenship but in my point of view that its something that in the field of the medicine should be done on a norm to everybody not only to certain people.

interesting point, Internal medicine is among one of the fields that use interpreters because of wellness visits and follow-ups. Not very sure where you are going with the infections and viruses comment its not what IM focuses on those are the infectious disease clinics and a bit off topic. How does this effect your approach to studying different areas of medicine?

Participant

Some strategies that I think will be useful for the sessions, are trying to be prepared for what the session is going to be about and think of what kind of terminology is going to be used. Also, keep educating myself with courses, books, asking for advice from interpreters that have been on the field for years and have experience in how to handle certain situations. Working with flash cards too, to keep the memory fresh and also, learning from personal experience, taking notes at the end of the sessions to work in what I think I was weak or didn’t have enough vocabulary. I think the most common areas are Emergency medicine or Family medicine, since these are probably one of the first approaches a person has in the healthcare world. Either they coming for the first time or its an emergency that was obviously not planned and don’t feel comfortable speaking the language. I think its crucial for interpreters to at least master the basic terminology, and with experience and education to go deep into all the other areas.

Carolina, very well said, IM and ER are amongst the busiest departments for interpreting use and usually will have in-staff interpreters to be ready to jump in when necessary. Definitely use all the tools we have given you as well as continue educating yourself. There is a big world of medical terminology that can be learned the more we are exposed to certain scenarios.

Shivangi Patel
      Participant

Language barriers negatively affect patient outcomes, and linguistic assistance is essential for adequate healthcare. The adoption of face-to-face medical interpretating is believed to have been rendered more challenging by the implementation of hospital admission restrictions following the outbreak of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). On the other hand, remote interpretating can be implemented using merely equipment, enabling it to be introduced without being impacted by the transmission of illness, and its use may have spread globally. To comprehend how COVID-19 has impacted remote interpreting utilization and what issues have arisen.
      In addition, mobile technology, including remote medical interpreting services is currently gaining attention, as they do not require face-to-face interpreters on-site. During the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, hospitals limited the entrance of people, including patients and their families

Participant

Since I don’t have a lot of experience in the medical field, I would say that the most common areas requiring interpretation would be general checkups and issues related to potential pain. However, I am eager to learn more by being more hands-on and constantly interpreting. Taking that into consideration, I will keep our Interpreting manual with me at all times and consult it between sessions to refresh my memory on the most common topics. I’ll also use index cards and take constant notes to improve my long-term memory.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.