Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In at least 250 words talk about if you think present day legislation is enough. Do you see executive order 13166 being applied in your state? Respond to two fellow students by Monday.

Shivangi Patel
      Participant

The President signed Executive Order 13166, “Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency.” The Executive Order requires Federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English proficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them. To assist Federal agencies in carrying out these responsibilities, the U.S. Department of Justice has issued a Policy Guidance Document “Enforcement of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 – National Origin Discrimination Against Persons With Limited English Proficiency”. This LEP Guidance sets forth the compliance standards that recipients of Federal financial assistance must follow to ensure that their programs and activities normally provided in English are accessible to LEP persons.
      The Executive Order also requires that the Federal agencies work to ensure that recipients of Federal financial assistance provide meaningful access to their LEP applicants and beneficiaries.
      Federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English proficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them.
      It is expected that agency plans will provide for such meaningful access consistent with, and without unduly burdening, the fundamental mission of the agency.
      The Executive Order also requires that the Federal agencies work to ensure that recipients of Federal financial assistance provide meaningful access to their LEP applicants and beneficiaries.

Participant

These Federal agencies have a big responsibility in providing access and services for LEP individuals.

Hellen Grajeda
        Participant

Truly makes me glad that these legislations have been placed for the well-being of individuals that may not be able to advocate for themselves.

Participant

Great research Shivangi!

Participant

In today’s time, the laws and regulations that are affiliated to LEP’s includes the title VI of the civil rights act of 1964, Title VI implementing regulations and executive order 13166. For my understanding, order 13166 was signed by president Bill Clinton mainly to “improve access to federally conducted and federally assisted programs and activities for persons who, as result of national origin, are limited in their English proficiency “, with one of their purposes of requiring interpreters in healthcare when institutions were provided with federal funding. One of the federal government commitments was the accessibility of these services to eligible LEP persons. It also requires that the federal agencies work to ensure that recipients of federal financial assistance provide meaningful access to the LEP applicants and beneficiaries. And the government agency that enforces the rules is the HHS Office/ DOJ (department of Justice) civil rights division. There has been devastating events happening in the US like hurricanes, pandemics since 2010 that highlights the need for federal agencies to ensure language tools and access to LEP’s.

According to the New Hampshire department of health and human services, they are committed to provide meaningful communication assistance to New Hampshire’s diverse population, following the federal civil right law “Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964”.

In my opinion, implementing this law in a diverse nation where many languages are spoken as the US is a huge step forward in promoting inclusivity, preventing discrimination and ensuring LEP’s have access to adequate federal programs such as interpreter assistance.

Carlos Martinez
        Participant

I totally agree with you on your last paragraph

Participant

Taking into consideration that Executive Order 13166 was created to improve access to federal services and benefits for anyone with limited English proficiency (LEP) and that the state of Texas is one of the largest in the country regarding those who would need help with medical interpretation, I can say that I saw the executive order being implemented flawlessly and effortlessly. Having lived in the state for some years, I have seen firsthand a situation requiring an interpreter in the medical area in full effect, provided by the hospital for someone who even came in with a friend – a person who was there to help with communication, but was not qualified to interpret a medical consultation precisely. The healthcare provider recognized the need for an interpreter and ensured that the conversation between the patient and the doctor was mediated by a professional.

Laws such as Executive Order 13166 recognize the linguistic diversity of the entire country and seek to eliminate language barriers that could impede people from fully participating in and benefiting from federally funded programs and activities. This executive order requires federal agencies to take reasonable steps to provide meaningful access to their services for LEP individuals and to develop and implement plans to ensure effective communication. It emphasizes the importance of language assistance, as in the example cited above.

Carlos Martinez
        Participant

The Federal Government provides and funds an array of services that can be made accessible to otherwise eligible persons who are not proficient in the English language Government is committed to improving the accessibility of these services to eligible LEP persons, a goal that reinforces its equally important commitment to promoting programs and activities designed to help individuals learn English I think everyone has to have the same opportunities in this country we are here to give the best of us and by doing this kind of legislation its a big step Each Federal agency shall also work to ensure that recipients of Federal financial assistance (recipients) provide meaningful access to their LEP applicants and beneficiaries.
        We have to remember that probably no all the people can speak the same language but we have to have the same rights and the same opportunities.

Carlos Martinez
          Participant

Its so sad to hear that in a state that in the border like Texas this is happening.

Carlos Martinez
        Participant

So sad that this is happening in Texas

Participant

This order has made such positive impact, great tool to provide equal opportunities.

Hellen Grajeda
      Participant

From my viewpoint I would agree that present day legislation has been very reasonably accessible to all LEP individuals that require interpreting services. Majority of facilities that I personally had access to I’ve seen numerous alternatives that can provide LEP individuals the opportunity of accessing the services necessary to have an understanding of what’s occurring in the medical setting. Even though it’s incredibly resourceful to have a medical interpreter physically present to provide a smooth communication transaction with patients and providers; there’s also language lines available to contact an interpreter at any time which is handy at the moment if no medical interpreter is physically available. I appreciate the legislations being created and put into place in all medical facilities but I will state that there is always room for improvement.

Executive Order 13166, titled “Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency,” was signed on August 11, 2000. Requiring Federal agencies to take action an ensure access to services for LEP individuals by following key points that assist in identifying what resources are necessary to make the services as meaningful as it can be. Federal agencies stary by examining the services that are provided and identifying where these services will be needed. Then developing a system that allows these services to be easily accessible to LEP individuals, especially being required at entities that are government funded. The executive order is being applied in Rhode Island by my own observation by giving the option to LEP individuals to request the assistance in many ways. From my own observation, patients have the opportunity to report what language they’re more comfortable communicating with the moment the exams are order. Besides that, the day that the patient presents themselves, there’s services that allows them to receive interpreting on the spot. Personally, I witness that thanks to this executive order, the services that are provided have given a lot of comfort in conflicting situations.

Participant

The US is ahead of most countries in this sense of supporting and legitimizing interpretation for different languages

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.