Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In at least 250 words, discuss the benefits of doing a pre-session with Yourself, the provider and the patient? What are possible scenarios that might be avoided by doing a pre-session? Do you think it is always necessary to do a pre-session with providers? Reply to two fellow students by Monday.

Yasmin DeOliveira
      Participant

There are many benefits to doing all three pre sessions with yourself, the provider and the patients. For the pre-session with yourself, which should be the most important one to be better prepared, is it extremely beneficial to go over what will be discussed and interpreted in the room, this way there are no surprises as to what is expected of you. Also gives the interpreter time to prepare what they will say at the pre-session with both provider and patient before beginning. Making sure you are fully prepared before stepping in the room ensures the appointment goes smoothly for all. The benefits of a pre-session with both provider and patient separately is to make sure they know what you are there for and that you have to adhere to your protocols. Quickly explaining the protocols and ensuring that they both know that you have to translate EVERYTHING that is said, this will help prevent ethical challenges in the future for yourself and also making sure they know that everything spoken is not coming from you but from the other and vice versa. It also helps set the tone that you are in charge of the flow of the conversation and they should lookout for cues to slow down or stop to get everything interpreted correctly and efficiently.

If no pre-session is done, both patient and provider may not be aware of your duties as an interpreter and that you have to translate everything, and at times may be forced to translate something they say under their breath and lead to an uncomfortable situation for all parties. The patient may also feel comfortable asking you for advice because you speak the target language, and might not know you are not allowed to do so, once again putting you all in an uncomfortable situation.

I believe a pre-session is necessary with a provider for the first few times you may work with them so they can be reminded of your duties and protocols, but can be excused in cases such as being a provider you have worked with multiple times and already knows the drill.

Participant

I agree with your post. Since I have been voluntarily interpreting at my current job, I was placed in a situation where a patient was asking me for medical advice and seeking medial advice from me outside of the office, ignoring the boundaries of one simply trying to help them with their language barrier. Establishing the roles of an interpreter is essential in a pre-session.

Sherley Montes
        Participant

Hello! I definitely agree that a pre session with yourself will avoid any surprises and help an appointment go smoothly because that way you are prepared when entering an appointment with the provider and patient.

Participant

A pre-session with yourself, the provider, and the patient is beneficial because both the provider and patient gain clarity on what to expect for the session. A pre-session for yourself will better prepare you to not have a ‘roadblock’ when it comes to interpreting certain words or phrases. It is also beneficial to have a pre-session with yourself to avoid any awkwardness with all parties. Some scenarios that can be avoided are cases where you may need repetition. Repetition can be avoided by reminding yourself in the pre-session that you are in charge of the conversation flow and how the conversation between patient and provider is carried out. It is also uncomfortable when asking for a repetition because the interpreter is in a position to speak in the first person to help create a better and direct relationship between the patient and provider. When asking for a repetition, you might break that sense of contact, making the situation awkward.You can also avoid awkwardness by talking to the patient beforehand and explaining what the roles of a medical interpreter are and establishing boundaries. With no boundaries, an interpreter may be put in an unwanted situation with the patient and/or provider.

A pre-session may not be necessary for many who have been interpreting for a long time and have the ability to retain all information given from both parties but should always be done. Even one with experience can have trouble sometime in effectively interpreting. With a pre-session, an interpreter can be prepared for what is to come and ensure a productive session between patient and provider.

Sherley Montes
        Participant

Hello. I agree that a pre session can prevent road block because you will be able to avoid that by being prepared prior to the appointment. In addition, I think it is necessary for a pre session to take place because as you stated even an interpreter with experience may run into trouble.

Yasmin DeOliveira
        Participant

Hello Margareth! I agree with you in regards to a pre-session helping all parties gain clarity on what to expect from the session. I also agree that there may be awkwardness when asking for repetition. Great points made. I loved reading your post!

Sherley Montes
      Participant

There are many benefits of doing a pre- session with yourself, the provider and the patient. I believe it is very crucial that certain information is prepared for and discussed before the appointment. In regards to this, I think it is effective to enter an appointment/ medical encounter with a patient and provider when all parties are aware of information prior. It will be my job to clarify who I am, what I will be helping with and just overall stating my role as medical interpreter. Therefore, I think doing a pre-session with a patient is beneficial because it will help a patient be more comfortable. When entering an appointment with a patient I can help give them a sense of relief and comfortability because they will know me, my role and that I am there to help them and be an advocate. Most patients may not know the role of a medical interpreter. Therefore, a pre- session will help with avoiding scenarios that may cause any confusion before a medical encounter and will help prevent a medical interpreter from being unprepared and familiar for future appointments. A pre-session with myself is very crucial because when entering a medical encounter I may not know what to expect or what I will be walking into. Therefore, being prepared will benefit all parties so that way I am able to focus and target the specifics of a patient and what will be discussed. In regards to this, it is also crucial to have a pre-session with a provider that way I am familiar with the body parts and terms that will be talked about and I will be able to know correct terms and discussions ahead of time. A pre-session with myself will help me communicate effectively with the patient. Additionally, in my opinion I do believe it is necessary to do a pre session with providers, the patient and myself for these reasons. Lastly, a pre session will be able to provide a successful appointment.

Participant

I enjoyed reading about having a sense of relief and comfortably during and after an appointment. I never thought of the importance of a pre-session up until taking this course. Its very interesting the importance of it and how crucial it is to effectively interpret for both parties.

Yasmin DeOliveira
        Participant

Hi Sherley! I love that you mentioned the interpreter will give the patient a sense of relief and comfortability, reminds me why we do this in the first place. Your mention of being able to focus and target the specifics of a patient also caught my attention because that is one point I did not think about. Great post!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.