Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In at least 250 words, discuss the benefits of doing a pre-session with Yourself, the provider and the patient? What are possible scenarios that might be avoided by doing a pre-session? Do you think it is always necessary to do a pre-session with providers? Reply to two fellow students by Monday.

Shivangi Patel
      Participant

BEFORE THE INTERPRETING SESSION BEGINS ( THE PRE-SESSION)
      It is important for the interpreter to establish some guidelines before the interpreting session begins.
      This is known as “the pre-session”. The interpreter will, 99% of the times, first make contact with the
      patient before they see the provider. So they should do the following upon encountering the patient:
      1) Greeting : Tell them your name, that you are the interpreter, languages you interpret in,
      provide a business card if appropriate,
      2) Confidentiality: this means that what you interpret you will keep to yourself for HIPPA
      3) Direct Communication: to speak directly to the provider.
      4) Manage Flow: request that they speak in 2 or 3 short sentences, pausing frequently to give
      you time to interpret.
      4) Intervention: that you may intervene to ask for clarification, a repetition, etc.
      5) Is there anything you need to tell me before we begin?
      Hello, Mr. New Patient, my name is Jane Interpreter, I am a source/target language (ENGLISH/
      SPANISH for example) interpreter. I will be interpreting for you during your visit with Provider A. I
      want you to know that I will keep everything that you say confidential. I must interpret everything you
      say, so if there’s something you don’t want interpreted.

Participant

Hi Shivangi, good job pointing out the most important parts of doing a pre-session, it was very clear and straight forward. While reading the manual I was trying to think of a way to introduce ourselves and include everything that we are supposed to say and that last paragraph really helped me into having an idea of how it should be done.

Saika Pierre
        Participant

Hi Shivangi,

Thank you for a clear summary of what a pre-session could be like. I found the last paragraph super helpful! It can be daunting to summarize the protocols, especially since they’re all so important, but this gave me an idea of how simple it can be:)

Participant

Conducting a medical interpretation pre-session involving the interpreter, healthcare provider, and patient offers numerous benefits in enhancing communication, reducing potential issues, and ensuring a more effective encounter. This proactive approach is particularly valuable in our multilingual healthcare settings, where clear communication is indispensable for accurate diagnosis and treatment.
      One of the primary advantages of a pre-session is the opportunity for the interpreter to familiarize themselves with the medical context, specific terminology, and any potential challenges related to the patient’s cultural background. This preparation enables the interpreter to be better equipped to convey medical information accurately and ensures a smoother flow of communication during the actual session. By discussing the patient’s medical history, current symptoms, and any relevant cultural considerations beforehand, the interpreter can anticipate potential language barriers and address them properly.
      A pre-session also allows the healthcare provider to communicate their expectations to the interpreter, ensuring alignment in terms of tone and pace of the conversation. This collaboration helps create a coordinated approach to patient care. Moreover, the provider can clarify any specific medical term or complex concepts that the interpreter might be unfamiliar, facilitating the interpreter’s understanding and accurate translation during the session.
      For the patient, a pre-session offers a sense of reassurance and comfort. It allows them to express any concerns or preferences related to the interpretation process, fostering a trusting relationship with both the interpreter and the healthcare provider. This can be particularly crucial in sensitive or emotionally charged medical situations.
      By conducting a pre-session, potential scenarios that might be avoided include misunderstandings due to unfamiliarity with medical terminology, cultural insensitivities, or misinterpretations of the patient’s symptoms. Additionally, it helps prevent disruptions during the actual session.
      In conclusion, the benefits of a medical interpretation pre-session are substantial, ranging from enhanced communication and cultural sensitivity to the prevention of potential misunderstandings. While it may not be necessary in every scenario, its implementation contributes significantly to the overall effectiveness of healthcare interactions in diverse linguistic and cultural settings.

Participant

Hi Stephen, first thing I noticed is the great choice of words and theres a few things that you shared that helped understand the process a little bit better. You brought up the cultural background, the words that we need to use so the patient can understand, between other things that we need to be aware off and after finishing the discussion board 2, it makes it more clear how important the pre-session is for everyone.

Carlos Martinez
          Participant

I really like that part that that wrote about the misunderstand because that’s when we as interpreters have to stop the conversation between the provider and the patient so mothing can be wrong during the session

Hellen Grajeda
        Participant

Hello Stephen,

After reading chapter 2 and reading your discussion board, I clearly see the importance of having a pre-session before any encounter. Taking the additional time to prepare yourself before an appointment is the best way to excel as a medical interpreter because if you’re stuck mid interpretation due to a lack of vocabulary, there’s no coming back from that. Doing a pre-session with yourself, the patient and provider is the best professional introduction that can be offered.

Participant

Having a pre-session with yourself is getting ready for some of the words, medical terms and possibly problems that are going to be talked about in the appointment. Makes it easier if you have an idea of what kind of appointment its going to be. For both the provider and the patient, in my opinion is important to clarify with them the way my job is going to be done so they know that everything that they say is going to be interpret by me, that I’ll try to retain the information between questions (no more than 20 seconds) and if not, I might ask for a pause for the person speaking so I can interpret to the other one so I can do my job effectively. I feel like having a designated time to get to introduce yourself with the patient, makes it easier to them to feel confident and being taking cared of.
      Some of the scenarios that can be avoided because the was no pre-session are lack details about the appointment that could’ve been talked about with the provider about the patient, interruptions during the session because they don’t know how the interpreter job is done and results in no flow of the conversation. Lack of trust of the patient since you as an interpreter didn’t explain that confidentiality is a big part of our job as it is illegal to divulge private information.
      Pre-sessions with the providers are supposed to give us short and detailed information about what we are dealing with, and also for us to shortly clarify how we are going to do our job.

Hellen Grajeda
        Participant

Hello Carolina,

I agree that having some time to explain your role and introduce yourself to the patient will provide some re-assurance before the appointment takes place. There’s patients that may be nervous or fearful of what to expect, so providing an introduction may de-escalate those emotions.

Carlos Martinez
          Participant

The precession is important for many reasons to interpret the information so we can know what the session its going to be and what kind of answers i have to give to the patient/provider in a direct and informative way.
          Greeting the patient telling him/her your name that you are the interpreter and what ever is said in the session will be fully interpreted.
          By explaining that you are the professional and the patient is protected by the PHI (protected health information)meaning that patient personal info will not be reported to anyone it has to be confidential.
          Always explain both parts that ill be speaking like if I was themselves meaning that I will speak in first person so that it seems that patient and provider are speaking to each other we always have to remember that we act like if we were the mouth of the patient and the provider.
          I will explain patient and provider that that in case that their speaking fast and I can not catch what their saying I will stop the conversation with a hand signal.
          Preparing your self reading about the medical terminology will give the precession between your self and the provider more comfort to the patient when the session starts.

Carlos Martinez
          Participant

Hi Carolina I agree all that you wrote thinking that the most important thing its to be prepare any scenario possible and always make our patient feel comfortable and make them feel that what we are professionals and we know exactly what is going on with their health.

Participant

Hello Carolina.
        Pre-sessions are essential! They help both the interpreter and the patient by ensuring everyone’s on the same page about the appointment, building trust, and preventing potential hiccups in communication. It’s about creating a smooth and confidential experience for all involved.

Saika Pierre
        Participant

Hi Carolina,

I agree with you that pre-sessions can make patients feel more confident knowing that they are being taken care of because the pre-sessions allow interpreters to cover all bases and clarify any misunderstandings before the appointment.

Hellen Grajeda
      Participant

The reason as to why it’s beneficial doing a pre-session with yourself, the patient and the provider is to give a clear understanding of the purpose of the interpreters role and how to best use their services. Doing so, the protocols will be respected and problems will be prevented.

By having a pre-session with yourself, it allows the interpreter to have an idea for what they may be walking into. It’s wise to be prepared when going to interpret an appointment, so that there’s no complications with conveying the message. Learning what kind of appointment the interpreter will be assisting in, gives the opportunity to freshen up on the type of vocabulary that will be needed for a successful interaction.

A pre-session with the patient, benefits the encounter with both patient and interpreter by setting the tone of the interaction that will be occurring during the appointment. Cordially introducing yourself to the patient, allows the interpreter to professionally present themselves and state their role during the session to prevent boundaries being crossed. Also, when interpreting, it is important to recognize that at the moment of the appointment, you are the person that the patient will feel most comfortable with due to being the only person that is able to fully understand them. A pre-session will consist of providing your name, the name of the organization that you’re presenting, and making it clear that medical advice cannot be provided unless directed by the provider.

The pre-session with the provider will be much quicker than with the patient due to it typically occurring the moment the provider walks into the appointment. If the interpreter has been associated with the same organizations long term, then it is likely that the interpreter has interacted with the same medical providers. That being said, it may not be fully necessary to provide a full detailed pre-session. Personally, I think it’s important to always communicate what can be expected as the interpreter to assure that there’s no misunderstanding and confusion.

Following these mechanics, will prevent patients having a misconception of the relationship between themselves and the professional interpreter.

Participant

Hello Hellen, pre-sessions are crucial for clarity! They help interpreters, patients, and providers understand roles, set the right tone, and avoid any misunderstandings. It’s about being well-prepared, establishing boundaries concerning all parties, and making sure the appointment goes as best it can.

Saika Pierre
      Participant

The pre-session in medical interpretation is an essential step that establishes a foundation for smooth and effective communication. The pre-session is conducted with both the patient and the provider, and it allows the interpreter to clarify their professional role and set ethical expectations. This includes introducing oneself, stating the organization one is representing, and stating limitations, such as the inability to answer questions or provide medical advice to the patient.

The pre-session involves sharing the CEFF protocol (Confidentiality, Everything interpreted, First-person, Flow of communication) with both the patient and provider. Informing the patient that their information is confidential, everything will be interpreted to the provider, and emphasizing the interpreter’s role in managing communication flow avoids potential misunderstandings. The pre-session with the patient can foster a sense of trust and comfort between the patient, the interpreter, and the provider. Although more brief than the pre-session with the patient, the pre-session with the provider outlines the same points but also ensures the provider understands the interpreter’s role and how to use interpretation services effectively.

Conducting a pre-session with oneself involves internal preparation by asking questions about the appointment type and anticipating relevant vocabulary/terminology. This mental preparation ensures a more accurate interpretation because it gives one the opportunity to review and refine one’s vocabulary.

I don’t think the pre-session is necessary in every situation; in some cases, there might not be any spare time. Still, its benefits in promoting effective communication, a collaborative healthcare environment, and preventing misunderstandings make it a valuable practice in medical interpretation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.