Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In at least 250 words, think about the difference between an interpreter and translator. What are the biggest differences? What are the challenges of each? Why is it important to understand that an interpreter is not a translator? Reply to two fellow students by Monday.

Carlos Martinez
      Participant

Translator its a person that write word by word prom a text but never has that feeling to be in front of somebody like the interpreter the interpreter can explain more from the heart than a translator the challenge of somebody that interprets for a person its to make them feel taht confidence and in many situations make them feel comfortable when you are working in the medical field.

Participant

Hi Carlos, I totally agree with you that one of the biggest challenges in being a translator is making them feel comfortable in such a complex situation.

Shivangi Patel
          Participant

I totally agree with you. It makes complex terms so simpler so that the foreign immigrants can easily understand the language.

Participant

Interpreters and translators, although related, serve distinct roles in overcoming language barriers. Translators, such as myself, focus on written content, ensuring that the written message is accurately conveyed in another language, it’s a patient process that demands attention to detail, but one that you have a vast time frame to elaborate and refine. In contrast, interpreters operate in real-time conversations, acting as language facilitators to bridge communication gaps between individuals who speak different languages, something that demands quick thinking. It’s essential not to mix them up, specially for a business situation. Surely both could improvise and make themselves understood if necessary, but its far from ideal for something like a medical situation.

Participant

Hi Stephen, congrats on being a translator, you’re killing it. It’s easier to understand from someone that is already in that field, nice and clear explanation.

Saika Pierre
        Participant

Hi Stephen, it’s fantastic that you are a translator and broadening your skills into interpretation! How do you navigate the challenges of ensuring accuracy and cultural relevance in written translations, given the patient and detailed process you mentioned?

Hellen Grajeda
        Participant

Hello Stephen,

It’s fantastic that you already are translator, I presume that the vocabulary that has been assigned will be a breeze for you. I admire your patience in working as a translator because I myself would be so hesitant and doubt my work. It’s reassuring to hear that there’s a vast period of time to be able to translate due to it requiring to be very detailed. What I’m curious about is, how is it decided that the translation is completed when there’s so many versions of the same language? I always catch myself using vocabulary from my country that is completely unknown to others. My goal is to learn to be as universal and possible.

Participant

Well the way you translate can vary according to the intended audience, so if you translate a children’s book you’ll want to be as simple as possible but it can be very loose, all that would matter is the message being delivered. Now in a engineering company yearly report, the main goal is to be as faithful as can be. But in the end it is still a form of interpretation.

Participant

A translator is a person that translates another language in written and an interpreter is a person that translates verbally in another language. The translator can work in similar fields as the interpreter but in a different way like translating labels for international food companies, translating movies from its original language, prescriptions, labels, articles among other things but the common aspect is that everything is written. On the other side, an interpreter for example helps people trying to get customer service, people trying to get medical attention and they don’t speak the language as their doctor or even if they are in court and they need help understanding what the judge is saying if they are speaking a different language. One of the challenges of being an interpreter is that we they’re acting in the moment, while a translator usually has time to do research about wording of the job they were assigned so it’s going to be more accurate.
      An interpreter has to understand the context before translating it, its important that in our own judgement we give the message in a way that the person can understand it without changing the meaning so the talk can flow between everyone.

Saika Pierre
        Participant

Hi Carolina! You mentioned that interpreters act in the moment while translators usually have time to do research. Considering both tasks have their challenges and require unique skills, which one, in your opinion, would you say is more difficult?

Participant

Apart from the vast amount of time to change something that was translated, I would say interpretation is harder because you have many other things to worry about besides the words themselves, such as your tone, the environment, the mood of who you’re interpreting to, etc

Shivangi Patel
        Participant

Hello Carolina,
        Yes an interpreter tries to help customer with understanding or getting attention to words or a language to help them understand specially medical terminology. while a translator translates in written language.

Saika Pierre
      Participant

The primary area of difference between interpreters and translators is the communication method they use: interpreters focus on spoken language, facilitating real-time communication, whereas translators work with written materials, ensuring translations are accurate and acceptable for the target culture.

Working in real-time circumstances, interpreters have to convey not only words but also the tone, emotions, and context of the message, which calls for quick thinking. Due to the urgency of their task, they have to overcome challenges such as managing stress, maintaining neutrality, and adapting to various speaking styles.

On the other hand, translators work with written documents, translating texts while maintaining context and style. Some of the challenges they face can be related to colloquial language and cultural nuances. Translators should also have some research abilities in order to understand jargon in fields like law, science, or literature.

Understanding the differences between interpreters and translators is essential because each position calls for different abilities. Misunderstanding this distinction can have serious consequences, particularly in situations like court cases and medical settings.

Hellen Grajeda
        Participant

Hello Saika,

As you stated, an interpreter is working on the spot and may come across many obstacles. My concern for myself is to assure that I have the ability to pass along the message without getting emotionally connected. A translator in a way, has much more time on their end due to needing to translate every single word appropriately. I could see myself leaning into being a translator, but I also enjoy being on the spontaneous side. Have you considered possibly translating as well?

Saika Pierre
          Participant

Hi Helen!

I understand what you mean; translators do have some more time to reflect on their task, but it is all for the sake of accuracy. I’ve never considered translating. I’ll be honest: I used to think translators were the same as interpreters, and the terms were used interchangeably. I have much more experience in interpreting, and I do like that interpreting sessions last relatively a short period of time.

Shivangi Patel
      Participant

An interpreter’s job often requires moving information from one language to another as quickly as possible. They’re needed whenever there’s a meeting between people who speak different languages. Types of interpreter- Consecutive Interpreting-consecutive interpreting is when a person speaks in one language, and once they’re done the interpreter translates what that person just said., Consecutive Interpreting- this is when interpreters start translating someone’s speech while they’re speaking. This is common, but without the use of extra technology (like with over-the-phone interpreting, Whisper Interpreting — a subset of simultaneous interpreting, this is when an interpreter is quietly translating, usually for a single person, Over-the-phone Interpreting — this is when any interpreting is done over the phone.
      tgere are also different types Of Interpreter can be -medical ,travel interpreters, community as well.
      The primary responsibilities of an interpreter include the following:Listening to a message spoken in one language,Understanding the context of the message,Translating the message into another language.
      While a translator is a linguistic expert who translates written communication from one language to another. The primary responsibilities of a translator include the following: Analyzing the context of the text, Conducting research on the culture and dialects of the foreign language.
      Types Of Translation By Method-
      Human Translation — this is translation where a human does all or nearly all the work.

Hellen Grajeda
      Participant

It’s understandable as to why there’s a confusion between the roles of an interpreter and a translator, especially since both are aiming to decipher a message in a different language. Even though there’s similarities, they also both require completely different skill sets. An interpreter personally works with the patient to interpret in verbal communication, while a translator translates written communication and it’s not necessary for a translator to work directly one on one. An interpreter needs to fluently and professionally interpret oral communication on the spot, requiring sensitive information to be translated in a well manner to deescalate distraught to the patient when receiving medical results or information.

When being an interpreter I would say that the most challenging part is to maintain empathism to a minimum to avoid personally connecting to the patient and solely rely on only sympathizing. When providing medical information to a person who can only understand you, you are becoming the patient’s comfort due to being the only one being able to understand what they’re feeling or going through. It’s definitely a difficult position to be in due to being the person responsible in delivering the message that may be nerve wracking and life changing. Another challenge being is the differences between cultures, with no harm intention, it’s possible to verbalize something that may seem appropriate, and it can be perceived as offensive. Which is exactly why I believe that it’s crucial to be cautious with your tone and keeping jokes to a minimum to avoid the possibility of offending a patient.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.