Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In at least 250 words, think about the difference between an interpreter and translator. What are the biggest differences? What are the challenges of each? Why is it important to understand that an interpreter is not a translator? Reply to two fellow students by Monday.

Keymaster

Hi Class!

I am waiting on you guys to post so I can reply!

Jennifer Lopes
      Participant

Difference between an interpreter and translator : interpreter trasnlate orally while translator translate in written.
      Challenge of Translator and Interpreter:
      -Translating figures of speech
      -Matching tone, diction and rhythm
      -Untranslatable words
      -Multiple Processess take place at once.

It’s important to understand that an interpreter is not translator because, they do different jobs. Interpreter translate orally and translator translate in written but both of them must understand grammar to do the job as interpreter or translator.

Keymaster

Good post Jen!
        I think you got the point. I would love to elaborate on these differences. As you stated an interpreter “translates orally”, which is correct. Our role though goes way beyond just a mere translation however. Not this: according to the manual, “an interpreter explains the meaning of – an interpreter is one who presents something spoken in understandable terms.” Of course, this does not mean we can adulterate the original message by adding or omitting to the original message. Another point to consider: interpreters need to convey not only the spoken message but also the feelings and emotions behind the words. This is a challenge – let’s demonstrate it in this way: I am sure you have all been to the doctors. Imagine you were with a physician and a “Mrs. Perez.” The doctor asks the patient how she is as he continues typing on his computer. With tears in her eyes, the patient responds, “I’m fine” (Estoy bien). How would you interpret that as an interpreter? To be a true conduit (a role you will learn about next week), you need to give the physician the whole and complete picture of what was said. You would need to convey not just the content “I am fine”, but along with the emotion that was behind the scenes…THAT IS A CHALLENGE!

Question for the class: how would you give the words, “I’m fine” the emotional color necessary to impart to the provider the way it was said? This expression, “I’m fine” can be said in a wide array of manners…from happy to sleepy, to sad, to sarcastic… How do we deal with these varying feelings and emotions in the way we interpret them?

Faisal Alsheikh
          Participant

The medical interpreter must maintain neutrality in sensitive or emotional situations. At the same time, he needs to convey not only the spoken message but also the feelings, emotions, and body gestures behind the words. It is a very difficult task and a huge challenge. Whatever it is, we must accept the patient’s response with the phrase “I am fine” in the most positive and optimistic way, which may be a real feeling and may not be objective for the doctor and his assessment of the patient’s condition.

Faisal Alsheikh
          Participant

Hi Jennifer! Very good post

Faisal Alsheikh
      Participant

Interpreters and translators both facilitate communication across language barriers, but there are differences between them. Interpreters work with spoken language in real-time. Their work is immediate in live settings, such as conferences and meetings. Translators work with written texts. They have a lot of time to complete their translations, often using resources like dictionaries. Interpreters need strong listening and speaking skills, excellent short-term memory, and the ability to quickly grasp and convey meaning between languages. They must be able to think under the pressure of live communication.
      Translators require strong reading and writing skills and attention to detail. Interpreters face the challenge of processing information quickly and accurately, often without the ability to pause or correct mistakes. Medical interpreters must manage the stress of live performance, and they need to convey the emotions of the patient behind the words. Understanding that interpreters are not translators is important because it ensures the right professional is chosen for the task.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.