Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In 250 words talk about yourself. Where do you live? What languages do you speak? Why have you decided to become an interpreter? Reply to 2 other students by Monday night.

Keymaster

Welcome to week 1! This first week is to get you used to the online platform and for you to get to know each other!

Your instructor for this week is me! – Art Liebl. Please feel to connect to me through my email: aliebl@interpretersassociates.com

Here are your assignments for the week:

1. Weekly Reading: Read chapter 1 from the manual. Please translate any and all terminology in the chapter- translating English terminology into your target language.

2. Discussion Board Topics: From the dashboard, scroll down to Week 1 – Posting #1 and posting #2. Please respond to the initial question from the instructor. During the week, bounce off other students’ comments, or the instructor’s comments. By the end of the week, you should have an initial posting and 2 other postings based on other students or the instructor.

3. Weekly Quiz: Take the first quiz- week one. It is auto graded

4. No written assignment

Instructor: Art Liebl
      Instructor email: aliebl@interpretersassociates.com

Keymaster

I extend a hearty welcome to you all! I am very excited to be here with you this very first week of class; I am sure you will enjoy your ten weeks with us here! It will be both an intense and yet enjoyable experience. So buckle up and enjoy your time with us. During the course you will be introduced to medical interpreters who have over 10 years experience, as well as medical physicians who are both physicians and interpreters. So…..take advantage of this time with them. Ask them whatever comes to mind, clear up your doubts if you have any.

I started interpreting and translating when I moved to Brazil in 1995 working in the graphics arts field/business field. I grew to have such a passion for communication that when I came back to the USA I stopped my work as a graphic arts technician (working on huge rotary presses) and moved into the translation and interpreting field. I achieved my medical interpreter certificate back in 2002. To be honest I was not very good at medical interpreting as I had a lot of unclear ideas as to anatomy and current medical science. But, with perseverance I can honestly say that I have learned tons and today feel comfortable in any and all medical setting. You will no doubt pass through the same experience, so, be patient with yourself; you are at the start of a marvelous career!

Good studies to you!

Jennifer Lopes
      Participant

HI! My name is Jennifer, I live in Beverly MA. I do speak Portuguese and Cape Verdean Creole. I decide become a medical interpreter because I enjoy help people especially who have difficulty to speak or understand english.

Keymaster

Hi Jennifer! I used to live in Brockton, MA where there are many Cape Verdeans and lots of them became my close friends! What Island are you from? Most of my Cape Verdean friends are from Fogo. It is so nice to have you with us!

Art

Faisal Alsheikh
          Participant

Hi Jennifer! Welcome and good studies to you!

Danielle Oliveira
      Participant

My name is Danielle Oliveira, I am 45 years old, and I was born in Brazil, Minas Gerais. I came to the United States in 1997. I graduated high school in Summerville, and down the line, I began studying and soon graduated as a medical assistant at Lincoln Tech School with high honors. I am also fluent in both English and Brazilian Portuguese, with my English being bilingual and my Portuguese being native. I currently reside in Massachusetts, in a town called Uxbridge, in the United States. I want to become a medical interpreter for the following reasons: I always liked being in the medical field; I’ve always been aware and caring of the health and concerns of others; and I understand the language barriers that can cause difficulties for both parties. Being in the field has, of course, its own challenges and difficulties. I’ve always been inspired to overcome or divert these difficulties, making them into more manageable or even better results for myself and others. When I first came to the United States and had to go to appointments at hospitals and medical cares, it was important and helpful to have someone to translate and explain in my own language any concerns, health risks, and other important needed translations. This had grown to inspire me to therefore do the same to have someone to translate and explain in my own language any concerns, health risks, and other important needed translations. This had grown to inspire me to therefore do the same for others. Since I have an understanding and respect for those who have helped me before, I want to give the chance for others to also have this opportunity to be heard clearly, have them understood, and help them understand and have the best treatment as well without the confusion or worry of miscommunications and language barriers. Therefore, this is my reason for seeking to become a medical interpreter.

Keymaster

Hi Danielle! Seja Bem-vinda ao curso! It is great to have you as a Brazilian student. As you know there is a huge need for Brazilian Portuguese interpreters all over the US, but especially in the Boston area. It is great you have the medical background as well. You will be a real asset to the Brazilian population having all these good things going for you.

Welcome on board and good studies to you!

Faisal Alsheikh
          Participant

Hi Danielle! Welcome and good studies to you!

Jennifer Lopes
      Participant

HI ART! I’m from Sao Vicente island.

Faisal Alsheikh
      Participant

My name is Faisal Alsheikh. I am 58 years old. I was born in the Syrian Arabic Republic. I graduated from medical university in 1991, completed my residence in urology specialization in 1998, and moved to Massachusetts in 2023. My native language is Arabic. I do speak Russian and English. I decided to become a medical interpreter because I have worked in the medical field, and I know that an interpreter job is very important for patients and medical providers, and that helps them to communicate with each other, understand patient complaints, collect the history of diseases, Physical examination, and explain to the patient about required investigations, medical procedures, treatment plans, surgical interventions, prophylactics, etc. I like this profession, and I have some medical interpretation experience that has assisted me with helping patients when I worked in hospitals. So, that is why I am here with you. I hope this course will increase my knowledge, improve my experience with medical interpretation, and help me get an opportunity to work as a medical interpreter in the United States.

Jennifer Lopes
      Participant

HI Faisal! Thank You.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.