Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Sherley Montes # Posted on January 24, 2023 at 7:11 pm

My name is Sherley Montes. I was born and raised in Providence, Rhode Island. My first language is English but, I am also fluent in Spanish. My father is bilingual he speaks both English and Spanish. On the other hand, my mother only speaks spanish as well as most of my family members. Over the years, I have attended appointments with my mother and grandmother and realized how crucial a medical interpreter is for them. I remember attending an appointment with my grandmother who only speaks Spanish. She was in a situation where language barrier was an issue at the hospital and a medical interpreter was not provided. The doctors struggled to get her to understand one of her upcoming procedures. I could only do so much because I am not educated enough to interpret what was being said and what parts of her body needed attention. I remember how uncomfortable and confused she felt sitting in that doctor’s office. She went home nervous for her upcoming procedures and appointments because of the lack of understanding. Furthermore, over the past year, I have been attending physical therapy. There are many patients who only speak their native language. Therefore, they are accompanied by a family member or friend who is bilingual. I noticed one client who goes every week is provided with a medical interpreter who attends via zoom. The client is able to understand the exercises and information her physical therapist provides her. Therefore, I want to be a medical interpreter because I want to be able to help others and become educated on terms and more. I want others to be comfortable and confident that the information they receive is accurate and helpful to them. Lastly, I want clients to be able to have a two way communication and receive answers to any questions they may have without having to worry about confusion.