Reply To: Week 9 – Discussion Board 1 (There is only one this week)

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 9 – Discussion Board 1 (There is only one this week) Reply To: Week 9 – Discussion Board 1 (There is only one this week)

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on November 6, 2022 at 10:16 am

I am not sure of all the errors, but I did the best I could trying to point them out.
1. She is speaking in the third person when the patient is communicating, we should interpret it as if we were the patient, or in other words using the first person.
2nd I think “the equivalent of stuffed pepper.” I think that she didn’t need to say the equivalent of stuffed pepper. She probably should have just said “stuffed pepper.”
3 I am sorry, but I have no idea
4 I am not sure about this one. I think she is not looking at her. It is fine to take notes, but she is not looking, and she maintains no eye contact throughout.
5 Again I have no idea, either. Perhaps my lack of experience is at fault here.
6 He said, “I am sorry I have a call.” She didn’t interpret the “small stuff,” but we must interpret everything. I’m sorry sir what is your example might be one too, but I know she didn’t interpret everything.
7. Here, things are getting too personal. The interaction needs to be kept professional; in other words; no chit-chat or gossip.
8. The patient said I spit out blood, but don’t say anything to the doctor. The interpreter said she wouldn’t. This is a problem of ethics. The patient shouldn’t be saying things she doesn’t want to be interpreted. The interpreter shouldn’t have agreed to this, and there could be serious health consequences as a result.
9 Again, I need a hint or help trying to figure this one out.
10. Perhaps saying I don’t think she understood endoscopy. She shouldn’t assume. The patient will ask if she doesn’t know what something means.
11. I don’t see what the interpreter did wrong; it looks more like what the doctor did wrong. The doctor is trying to explain in Spanish. He is not a professional translator and speaking Spanish doesn’t come easy to him. Also, there is an interpreter there, so there is no need for him to speak his second language.

The correct examples

-She had a pre-session. It is important to establish who you are and set expectations.
– She didn’t accept the gift. She made it clear she is not allowed to accept gifts. This also keeps things from getting personal, and it establishes an appropriate professional relationship.
-She tells and shows a gesture, what she will do if says too much at once. This is helpful to not overwhelm the interpreter and possibly the patient.
-She was interpreting in 1the first person, used gestures to signal there is more to the story, and for the patient to pause as it was a lot of information.
-She asked what it meant when she didn’t understand. It is okay to admit that you don’t know something, and in fact, it is the right thing to do.
-She stopped the doctor for him to repeat because she got lost in the list. If you have to pause or need more time, it is important to admit that so you can interpret appropriately.
– The interpreter took control and asked if was okay to bring the patient to the front desk to make the next appointment.
-The patient asked her for a ride home, and she said sorry, but it was not allowed. She also gave her options. It is important to maintain this professional distance, but it is also important to try to help the patient.