Reply To: Week 8 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 8 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 8 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on October 29, 2022 at 4:10 pm

I think there will be many areas that will be challenging or interesting when I embark on my career as an interpreter. One thing I find particularly challenging is the names of medicine. Right now, I am working as a health insurance agent. I have to look up people’s medicines, and I cannot pronounce them for the life of me. I do not know how to spell them either, but that is not so relevant in interpreting because I do not have to write. It is so difficult to pronounce them in English, so I wonder how I will pronounce them in Portuguese. Honestly, I am not as worried about the pronunciation in Portuguese because it is more phonetic than in English. English seems to have more exceptions to the rule than the actual rule when it comes to pronunciation.
Another area I find complicated is the heart. There are a lot of functions and terminology that I need to continue studying to improve my understanding of the heart and how it functions or malfunctions. Heart attacks are the number one cause of death in the U.S., and just about everyone is affected by heart maladies, whether it is themselves or someone they love. With so many affected, it is somewhat of a difficult subject to talk about emotionally. I will have to continue to work on not showing my emotions so as not to interfere with my duties as an interpreter. I want to be as professional as possible, so I will need to overcome these obstacles.