Reply To: Week 8 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 8 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 8 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Betty Oliver-Pinto # Posted on October 28, 2022 at 5:44 pm

I find that the two areas of medicine that I find particularly interesting are the pediatric world and the Surgical Oncology world.

In the medicine of pediatrics, I find it to be interesting due to the fact that I LOVE pediatrics. I have been in the medical field for 20 years and all specialties have their interest and their challenges. As Pediatric Medical Assistant it was interesting due to the fact that you are able to watch the babies grown into adolescents and young adults. I feel that the challenging part of an interpreter in the pediatric field is that explanation of the vaccines. Even though there are VIS forms they are hard to understand in any language.

I currently work as a Medical Assistant in surgical oncology it is very interesting and challenging at the same. It is interesting because I have learned so much and I have met so many people and their stories. I feel like the most the most challenging part of being an interpreter is there are words that my tongue doesn’t articulate very much. I find it challenging to say cardiologist. I have learned to speak Spanish by asking questions and listening to TV and music.

Both areas of medicine have their challenges and the interesting parts. I love being a medical assistant and I love the fact that I am able to speak both languages and I am able to help the community by being able to speak both languages. I do know that there is the benefit and difficulties in being interpreter.