Reply To: Week 6 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 6 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 6 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on October 14, 2022 at 10:56 pm

The pituitary gland is responsible for producing nine different hormones, and it has two parts. These hormones include: oxytocin, prolactin, the antidiuretic hormone (ADH), the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), the adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), the growth hormone, the follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), and the melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH). The two parts of the pituitary gland are called the anterior and posterior pituitary glands.
One of the hormones the anterior pituitary gland produces is called the thyroid stimulating hormone. I can personally vouch for the importance of this one, being that my life has totally changed with hypothyroidism. I went from thin to obese in a couple of months, I am tired all the time, I have difficulty swallowing etc. It helps to regulate temperature and heart rate as well as energy conversion from what we eat.

The hormones of the anterior pituitary gland:
Follicle stimulating hormones are in charge of male and female sex organs. They are in control of ovulation, and they tell the testicles to produce testosterone and sperm. The hormone prolactin is responsible for breast growth and milk production. MSH gets particular cells to make melanin. The pituitary gland produces growth hormones responsible for growing throughout the different stages of life. ACTH signals the production of steroidal hormones via the adrenal glands.

The hormones of the posterior pituitary gland:
Oxytocin and antidiuretic hormones are released by the posterior pituitary gland. Oxytocin is responsible for signaling contraction of the uterus during labor and also signals for the breast to produce milk after birth. The antidiuretic hormone makes sure enough water stays in the body, controls blood pressure, and the kidneys’ urine production.

Source:
https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-types/pituitary-gland-tumours/what-are-pituitary-gland-tumours/the-pituitary-gland