Reply To: Week 4 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 4 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 4 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Betty Oliver-Pinto # Posted on October 2, 2022 at 4:26 pm

As we learned in the video there are a lot of different techniques for good mental retention. As I was watching the video, I realized that I already use a lot of these, especially the visual technique as English is my first language and I started learning Spanish when I was around 16 when I hear words, I always picture them in my head. Some of the techniques were word mapping, visualization, symbols for note taking, abbreviating these are some of the techniques. I have never used idea mapping but I think that will be a good technique as well. If as an interpreter you are not familiar with a word or how to pronounce the word it is good to read it from the back and put it all together. This is also a good method to use when interpreting. You should get the words that are harder out first as you may mentally retain them due to not using them as much the more you use the better mental retention is.

The presentation that we watched was very informative and put into perspective different ways of learning for me. I have never thought of using a Idea mapping as a way of not taking however I do see how it will work and gives the whole story that is important without fluff or exploratory information. I participated in the exercised however the questions were hard for me to see. When they were on pause, I did learn that picture memory is more beneficial and as an interpreter I will be using visual more than words.I think that is was an interesting video and a great teaching technique.