Reply To: Week 4 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 4 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 4 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on October 1, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Good mental retention is vital to the profession of medical interpretation. As interpreters, we will have to use spoken word synchronously, so we need to be able to retain a lot of information. Quite simply, if we cannot retain the information, we cannot do our jobs. This week, we broke down different methods of retention, the importance of it, and we also looked at things that can help or inhibit our ability to retain information.

With an exercise during our workshop, I saw how hard it was to memorize a lot of details being said at once. Developing our mental faculties in regard to how we retain information is going to be vital. If we lose much of the information that is being told to us either by the medical professional or the patient, then it will be impossible for us to interpret everything. One of our duties is to interpret everything. We can’t forget or skip things. In the exercise of listening to words and thinking about them as words instead of images, I missed out on details. Missing out on details while doing medical interpretation can cause the patient or the doctor to get the incorrect information, and therefore get the incorrect diagnosis or medicine. This is very dangerous. To be blunt, you cannot advocate for a patient that you kill.

Two things that were talked about in the reading and video that could inhibit mental retention were lack of sleep and bad food. The book talks about foods being too high in saturated fat increasing the likelihood of getting dementia. Without our memory, we don’t have a profession. The video talks about how sugar can negatively affect our memory, but it mostly focuses on processed sugar as opposed to natural sugar. I, personally believe that we need to keep our eyes on natural sugar as well. Stress is another destructive factor, but that is the one I’m typically used to hearing about, so, I’d rather let someone else talk about elaborate on it. Many people can see the benefits of cutting off hours of sleep (getting more done) and of having sweets (tastes good), but few can see any benefit in stress.The book also talks about how eating too many calories as one ages can cause cognitive decline. While most of us associate more calories with a bigger waistline, we don’t usually see it as having anything to do with cognitive impairment.