Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 3 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Soila Morales # Posted on September 26, 2022 at 2:14 pm

What is known as legislation?

Legislation refers to the preparation and enactment of laws by a legislative body through its lawmaking process. The legislative process includes evaluating, amending, and voting on proposed laws and is concerned with the words used in the bill to communicate the values, judgments, and purposes of the proposal. In this we understand that we are entitled to get all the help that is put in a law form and that it is to be practiced. On August 11, 2000, the President signed Executive Order 13166, “Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency.” The Executive Order requires Federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English proficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them.

I do see these legislations being followed in my state as I currently work in a healthcare setting/Hospital and offer the use of interpretation via a portable screen that connects to certified interpreters in multiple languages, also have been told that it is not safe to use someone services if not certified as such because of misunderstandings, and lack of interpretation laws and knowledge.

In Rhode Island it is stated that if a Person with Limited English Proficiency- Inability to speak English may impede communication and create a barrier to prompt determination of eligibility and the provision of agency services. The Department of Human Services displays interpretation policies in all its offices in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Cambodian, Laotian, and Russian; If an individual is applying for or receiving benefits and is not fluent in English, the individual does not have to bring their own interpreter to a Department of Human Services office. DHS shall schedule interpreters or bilingual staff when necessary to communicate with the individual, unless, after being informed of his/her right to interpreter services, the individual expresses a clear preference to bring his/her own interpreter. DHS shall schedule an interpreter or bilingual staff member to help the individual read English language notices, letters, or other written information from DHS; If the individual is having difficulties obtaining interpreter or bilingual staff services at a DHS office, the individual may contact the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Coordinator at the R.I. Department of Human Services, 206 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI 02907, (401) 415-8216.