Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 3 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on September 25, 2022 at 4:57 pm

It would be very helpful for medical interpreters to understand the suffixes and prefixes used in medical terminology because they are in the medical field. I don’t mean the medical field as in medical professionals, i.e., doctors and nurses, but they’re dealing with situations that involve these terms. Instead of memorizing so many difficult terms, they can break down the meanings by understanding prefixes and suffixes. Of course, it is best to know as much as possible, but no one can know everything. Knowing this information can help interpreters decipher meanings of words that they might not know, remember, or recognize right away. Interpreters are quickly interpreting spoken word, so there is no time to consult to dictionary. Considering that, I would say learning prefixes and suffixes in medical terminology is a lifesaver. Once translators become good at that, it’s probably a good idea to learn a little bit about morphology. Sure, it is very helpful to know prefixes and suffixes, but it is more important to know what the root word means and how it relates to the other parts. Morphology is a separate profession in itself, and no one needs to be an expert in it to be an interpreter. I am simply suggesting getting some background in it. Besides that, I think people who are native speakers of a Latin language (or Greek) sometimes have an advantage when it comes to a lot of scientific terms being that those terms tend to directly come from those languages.