Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 3 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 3 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Betty Oliver-Pinto # Posted on September 25, 2022 at 9:05 am

Is present legislation enough? When it comes to medical legislation, I feel that there is always more that can be done. Federal laws are placed for a reason; however, they are not always abide by. As learned in the reading assignment if a medical practice is receiving federal monies, it is a law to have some sort of way for interpreting with that being said I do know that is not always the case as working in the medical field there are practices that will tell me to tell my non-English speaking patients to bring their translator and that I feel is inappropriate I feel that everyone should be offered interpreter services. With that being said I do not feel that present day legislation is enough, I feel we can always do more.

Executive order 1366 was mandated on August 11 2000. This is a federal law that states health facilities who receive federal monies must provide competent interpreter service for all LEP’s, and if not done monies can be denied to the facility. In my work setting this law does apply now for the state where I live, I can say I currently work in the health care field I have seen where this service is not provided to some services by specialty clinics. I feel that is not right for any patient not to know their health care in their own language. I have not lived in Rhode Island very long and have not had many encounters with facilities however I do know that this service is not offered in every facility the office will tell the patient or the person scheduling the appointment to bring an interpreter with them.