Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 2 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Angela Mayfield # Posted on September 20, 2022 at 1:11 am

I feel that a role as interpreter should be equipped with a wide range of linguistic and interpersonal skills. Language education and experience lay a strong foundation for interpreters, but the ability to be an empathetic listener is just as important. I would feel more comfortable with someone I know is listening to what I am saying and cares than one that doesn’t. I feel it is important to put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself how you would feel, if this was a situation you were put in.

Interpreters should not only be very familiar with more than one language, but they should also have a cultural understanding of the languages they interpret for. This is the ability to detect certain nonverbal cues or customs that are specific to a particular group of people or Having a strong grasp on cultural norms will help an interpreter better convey what a non-native speaker is trying to get across. I know I wouldn’t want someone translating for me that did not have an understanding of my culture.
Another huge role is being the patient advocate and being there for the patient as they cant be their own advocate because of linguistics.

I do feel a pre-session is a better way to convey a message and ensure clear and proper communication. he or she is someone who is willing and able to be a good, compassionate listener. Interpretation situations can be intimidating for non-native speakers, and an interpreter should try to make the experience as comfortable as possible.