Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 2 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on September 19, 2022 at 7:58 am

We were given the acronym CEFF, which stands for confidentiality, everything, flow, and first person. I am going to start backwards with my explanations and examples.

First person means that we translate using the first person, i.e., using I or me. The book tells us that we should always using the first person even though we are obviously not talking about ourselves because it saves time. It can get confusing and time consuming to keep adding he said and she said, so to eliminate those issues, we just use the first person.

An example of first person, would be
Doctor: Why did they bring you?
Me: Por que eles te trouxeram?
Cleosandra (patient): Tenho dor no pâncreas.
Me: I have pain in my pancreas.

I translate it properly and use the first person.

Flow- The book emphasizes that we (the interpreters) are in control of the flow of the conversation, so we need to use cues and gestures so we don’t get overwhelmed by the output, i.e., the messages that the doctor/nurse and the patient are conveying. Sometimes medical professionals or patients talk too fast or don’t wait for one another to finish. There may be a family member there speaking, so those things (among many others) can get in the way of interpreting the message properly and/or in an orderly fashion.

An example of this would be a husband and wife are in a hospital setting both trying to explain what happened to him. The translator could use the gesture in the book to signal them to stop in order to take control of the situation and direct the person who needs to be speaking at the moment to speak.

Everything- We must interpret everything. We cannot omit anything, add anything, or provide inappropriate translations. Under regular circumstances, we may think that certain information doesn’t matter or that the person is giving too much information, but as medical interpreters we must ignore this urge and interpret everything that was said, and even nonverbal “speaking.”

Ex. Let’s imagine Adam said he had pain starting two days ago. It occurred early in the morning. He reached to move the pasta sauce out of the way, and he pulled his upper back. It was at 6:33 AM because he was in front of the clock. Now, I would interpret that in the first person. In nonprofessional situations, an interpreter might leave out in font of the clock or even the precise time, but as a medical interpreter, I must interpret everything.

Confidentiality- The protected health information interpreters experience in the field is not to be shared with unauthorized persons. We are in a position of trust, so we cannot break that trust by illegally sharing confidential information.

Ex. The interpreter could start describing a patient she dealt with at her job to her husband. Describing her would give identifiable markers, and if she were describing the patient, she would probably be giving details about the interaction or the person’s medical problem, which is illegal and unethical. While I hope most people trust their partners, we can’t share confidential information with them about the job.