Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 2 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 2 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Betty Oliver-Pinto # Posted on September 14, 2022 at 9:00 pm

The benefit of doing a pre-session is beneficial for different reasons. One of them are meeting with the doctor prior to meeting with the patient so that you will have information regarding the patient’s case and you will be more aware of the type of conversation and will be able to gain confidence to interpret the conversation with most of the important information that the doctor will be discussing with the patient. It is beneficial to do a pre-session with the patient as well therefor you can have a better understanding of the terminology that you will need to use to interpret with the patient based on the knowledge you get by having a conversation with the patient. This will help with prevent problems later on.

There are certain situation that you may avoid by doing a pre-session because that is the time that you set down ground rules. It can prevent the patient getting extra friendly and expecting you to give to medical advice and if you have a pre-session you let the patient know at that time that you are there to interpret not to give medical advice. You avoid the challenge of the doctor speaking to you instead of the patient as you will converse in first person. It will also help avoid misinterpret what should be said and how it should be said due to the fact that you will know the patients case and will have better knowledge of the patients vocabulary.

I think it is necessary to do a pre-session with the provider if you are coming from the outside i.e interpreter from another department or from another facility. In my case I do not feel that it is necessary to have a pre-session with the provider due to the fact that I am his Medical Assistant and I already know the patient’s case and the provider I currently work for would know what I expect to go in the room. I would have a pre-session with the patient so that they knew the lay of the land and know that I change roles from Medical Assistant to Interpreter. I will always make sure that I give the patient and the doctor the same information at the beginning with both of them in the room that what is translated with be confidential and that I will convey the message for both the provider and the patient to understand.