Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Sara Abbasova # Posted on September 12, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Hello, My name is Sara Abbasova. I am 20 years old. I was born in Moscow, Russia, and have lived in many countries including Ukraine, Paraguay, Brazil, and Portugal. I spent most of my life in Brazil and am now in the US.
I live in Marlborough, Massachusetts. For me, it’s hard to explain how many languages I speak, fluently I only consider Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, French, and English, but I also know Italian, Ukrainian, Mandarin, and Korean though not as well.
My father is a missionary and a translator, my mother also works alongside him, and my grandmother was a teacher of languages – she taught french at a university in Uzbekistan. Coming from a multicultural family, my mother is Chinese/Uzbek/Russian and my father is Azeri/Iranian, speaking many languages is in my blood you could say – I’ve always had a lot of ease with learning languages, by the age of two, I was learning my fourth language.
Being a translator and interpreter has come naturally to me. My father used to oversee groups of people that spoke Russian when they came to Brazil to visit, I used to go along and I would grab a few of those people and be their interpreter at the mere age of five years old.
I work as a nursing assistant at the moment and by becoming an interpreter, I can work from home doing something I am passionate about which also does not require much from me physically. In my job, I am able to speak to many patients because of my skills. I can listen to them and convey the message to the nurses and doctors about what they need. I am very grateful to be able to know and speak many languages that sometimes are difficult to find translators for, but now I want to focus on just interpreting as opposed to doing my job as a CNA AND a translator/interpreter.