Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 2 Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 2

Author Discussion Board Replies
Miriam Kelly # Posted on September 11, 2022 at 1:38 am

While many people use both terms interchangeably, an interpreter translates the spoken word, while a translator translates the written word. I think it is important to understand the difference because they have different responsibilities. When I studied in the Portuguese department, I focused on second language learning, but my friends focused on translating literary works. Translating literary work is not as straight forward, but that is not to say one could not translate a biography or something like that (which would be more technical and to the point). People who have limited or no English that have to go to court or go to hospital, for example, need interpreters to help them understand what is going on. There are a lot of people that find themselves in emergency situations, and they need interpreter to help guide them. The interpreter has to do the work on the spot, while the translator has time to come up with a translation. Interpreters often work with a lot of technical vocabulary; that could be easier or more difficult depending on how you look at it. I noticed that my friends who did translation worked with a lot of “colorful” and archaic language. People do not speak like Shakespeare, so the likelihood of me using the types of terms that my friends used in my new career is very miniscule. There are a lot of terms that are nearly impossible to translate in literary work, but it is easier to find an equivalent when one is interpreting.