Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Welcome To Interpreters Associates, Inc. Forums Week 1 – Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Week 1 – Discussion Board 1

Author Discussion Board Replies
Betty Oliver-Pinto # Posted on September 6, 2022 at 7:09 pm

My name is Betty, I am a Medical Assistant at Roger Williams for the Surgical Oncology department. I have been employed with Roger Williams for two years. I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I speak Spanish as a second language and English as my first, I moved here two years ago from Arizona where I was a pediatric Medical Assistant and then changed professions and became a Rose farmer then decided that I needed a change of scenery and moved across the country.I moved here to Rhode Island with my husband and my youngest son who has Down’s Syndrome. I have 3 sons and 1 daughter and 4 granddaughters who live in Arizona.

I am taking this course to become an interpreter because I am a compassionate person and I love being a Medical Assistant and helping people. I feel being an interpreter and having the means to do it face to face is more personable and the patients feel a sense of care and that we are interested in their health. As I work daily with Spanish speaking patients who are not getting the best news and not being able to translate it in person can be overwhelming for the patient and me as well as I see the looks on their face as they are getting the news from a telephone translator.

As I become a certified interpreter I will be able to grow in my career and be able to use my skills in Speaking Spanish and helping people daily. Patient care and their understandings of their treatment whether it be surgery or chemotherapy or radiation is very important, as and interpreter I will be able to help our patients understand what the plan of care is and it will be on a personal level. I have chosen to this as many times our Spanish speaking patients ask for me to interpret what the doctor has to say and I have to tell them that I am not allowed to interpret due to the fact that I am not a certified interpreter.